As of 30.01.2020
Strategy for Scientific and Technological Development Priority Level: в, г
Project objective: Development of highly efficient analytical bioluminescent technologies and methods of their application in biology, medical diagnostics and monitoring of the state of environment, study of molecular and cellular organization of bioluminescent systems of various organisms
- Study of molecular and cellular organization of bioluminescent systems of various organisms
- Development and applications of highly efficient methods of analytical usage of bioluminescence for biology, medical diagnostics, and in monitoring of the state of the environment
- Creation of educational programs based on the phenomenon of bioluminescence
- We have solved the mystery of luminescence of fungi and worms and found marker substances for applications in medical diagnostics. New diagnostic preparations for detecting socially significant diseases.
- Our researchers have studied main bioluminescent qualities of eight new analogs of coelenterazine in reactions catalyzed by Са2+-regulated photoproteins that are important for visualization of calcium flows in cells and tissues of small animals due to «red» shift of the bioluminescence spectrum.
- We have proposed a platform technology for multiplexed bioluminescent assay.
- Our researchers have developed a technology for production of immobilized multicomponent preparations for conducting enzymic analysis in ecology and medicine and as biological modules of enzyme biosensors. We have produced an experimental lot of microfluid chips with reagents placed inside that allows to detect toxic substance at the level of limited allowed concentration.
Implemented results of research: We have launched a commercial product – portable bioluminescence express-laboratory for ecological and medical monitoring of toxicity that consists of the «LumiShot» biolumninometer, the «Enzymolum» reagent and the set of methodologies for measuring toxicity of media for medical, ecological and industrial applications such as evaluation of water, air and soil contamination, toxicity of nanomaterials and medical purpose materials, food supplements, degree of endotoxicosis and influence of stress loads on sportsmen.
Education and career development:
- We have organized internships for members of the academic staff of the Laboratory at Russian and foreign universities.
- 7 candidate dissertations, 36 bachelor theses, 21 masters theses have been defended.
- 3 foreign researchers are working at the Laboratory at postdoc positions as well as 2 foreign master's student.
- The Siberian Federal University provides staff training in the specialization «Physics»: profiles «Biochemical physics» (for bachelors) and «Biophysics» (for masters); in the specialization «Biology»: «Biophysics» (for bachelors, the network masters program in collaboration with the Baltic Federal University, and postgraduates).
- We have developed and launched the «Biological engineering» masters program in English at the Siberian Federal University.
- The Laboratory conducted scientific events: the International Bioluminescent Seminar under supervision of the professor O. Shimomura and the academician I. I. Gitelzon (2012, 2013 ), the workshop-seminar «Bioluminescent biotechnology» under supervision of the professor professor O. Shimomura and the academician I. I. Gitelzon (2012), the «Biophysics» section within the International Scientific and Technological Conference for Students, Postgraduates and Young Scientists «Free Avenue» (2015 - 2018), Doors Open Days of the Siberian Federal University (2013 - 2019), All-Russian Science Festivals «NAUKA 0+» (2015 - 2018), High Intensity Off-Site Workshop of the Siberian Federal University «Belchonok» (2015 - 2019) and «Creative Me» (2017-2018).
- We have developed a modern case study for schools in biology and ecology, the School Laboratory Complex «Enzymolum» for its implementation that improved quality of school education in the Krasnoyarsk region. Five scientific laboratories have been created at schools for conducting research in bioluminescence.
Organizational and structural changes: On the base of the Laboratory 2 small innovative enterprises have been organized («Research and Production Enterprise «Applied Biosystems» LLC and «Biolumdiagnostika») for manufacturing bioluminometers, reagents or bioluminescent analysis.
- The Laboratory of Bioluminescent Biotechnologies is one of the key laboratories that allowed the Siberian Federal University to become a participant of the Program of International Competitive Ability «5-100».
- In 2015 we organized the Osamu Shimomura Foundation acting upon a gift agreement with the leading scientist. Since 2016 we have been conducting annual competitions for scholarships of the Foundation for successful research in the field of bioluminescence among undergraduates, postgraduates, and school students. Four young scientists received scholarships in 2016, 12 in 2017, and three in 2018.
University of Bologna (Italy), Biomedical Research Institute of the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Tsukuba (Japan), Nagoya University (Japan), KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden), MicroBioTests Inc. (Belgium), Jamia Hamdard University (India), University of Cádiz (Spain), National Institute of Food Technology (India), Czech Technical University (Czech Republic), Friedrich-Schiller University of Jena (Germany), University of Barcelona (Spain), University of Cyprus (Cyprus), University of Southern Denmark (Denmark), Moscow State University (Russia), A.N. Severtsov Institute of Ecology and Evolution of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia), Tomsk Polytechnic University (Russia), Institute of Cytology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia), Institute of Protein Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia), Institute of Cell Biophysics of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Russia), Irkutsk State University (Russia), Baltic State University (Russia): joint research and publications, academic mobility for masters students and postgraduates, conducting and participation in conferences, organizing a network masters program
Field of studies
Time span of the project