Laboratory of Photoactive Nanocomposite Materials
This laboratory was established as part of a scientific research project supported with a monetary grant awarded by the Government of the Russian Federation under a grant competition designed to provide governmental support to scientific research projects implemented under the supervision of the world's leading scientists at Russian institutions of higher learning (Resolution of the RF Government No.220 of April 9, 2010).
Grant Agreement No.:
Name of the institution of higher learning:
Saint Petersburg State University
Fields of scientific research:
The goal of the project is to create a large international center for research of photoactive nanocomposite materials (PNM).
- To research the mechanisms of photoexcitation in nanocomposite photoactive materials.
- To develop proposals on methods of creation of photoactive materials of the first and second generations and nano-coatings created on their basis with improved functional parameters.
- To research the following photo-processes occurring on the surface of nano-coatings: hydrophilic behaviour, photocatalytic activity, antibacterial effect.
- To design methods that could be used to test and describe the functional parameters of photoactive materials.
The project seeks to create research complexes required to study formation of defects inside and on the surface of photoactive materials in a controlled environment, as well as to study molecular processes on the surface of photoactive materials.
In addition, the project seeks to develop research complexes that could be used to study charge transfer processes occurring on the surface of photoactive materials, to develop a method that could be used to create new photoactive materials and nano-coatings created on their basis with improved functional parameters, as well as to develop a model of a photoelectrochemical sensor.
Leading scientist's full name: Bahnemann Detlef Werner
Link to the scientist's profile
Academic degree and title:
Doctor of Philosophy, Professor
Head of Photocatalysis and Nanotechnology Research Unit
Areas of scientific interest:
The heterogeneous photocatalysis. New photoactive materials. The conversion of solar energy. Photosynthesis. Environmentally friendly chemistry.
Chairman of the German DIN- Standardisation-Committee "Photocatalysis".
Member of the European CEN-Standardisation-Committee "Photocatalysis"
Member of the International ISO-Standardisation-Committee "Photocatalysis"
Honorary Professorship at:
• Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen/Scotland (United Kingdom);
• Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry (China);
• Mahatma Gandhi University (India).
Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Advanced Oxidation Technologies and International Journal of Photoenergy.