Physics of Lightning Laboratory
This laboratory was established as part of a scientific research project supported with a monetary grant awarded by the Government of the Russian Federation under a grant competition designed to provide governmental support to scientific research projects implemented under the supervision of the world's leading scientists at Russian institutions of higher learning (Resolution of the RF Government No.220 of April 9, 2010).
Grant Agreement No.:
Name of the institution of higher learning:
Institute of Applied Physics RAS
Fields of scientific research:
Earth and Related Environmenal Sciences
Lightning and storms: physics and effects
Leading scientist's full name: Rakov, Vladimir Alexandrovich
Academic degree and title:
Candidate of physical and mathematical sciences, professor
Professor at the University of Florida, Co-Director of the International Center for Lightning Research and Testing
Field of scientific interests:
- Physics of lightning;
- Atmospheric electricity;
- Protection from lightning.
- Development of new lightning channel models.
- First direct measurement of the concentration of lightning activity products.
- M-component (one of the principal lightning processes) theory.
- Full-scale experiments on initiation of lightning from thunderstorm clouds.