Laboratory of Molecular Microbiology
This laboratory was established as part of a scientific research project supported with a monetary grant awarded by the Government of the Russian Federation under a grant competition designed to provide governmental support to scientific research projects implemented under the supervision of the world's leading scientists at Russian institutions of higher learning (Resolution of the RF Government No.220 of April 9, 2010).
Grant Agreement No.:
Name of the institution of higher learning:
National Research University St.Petersburg State Polytechnical University
Fields of scientific research:
Molecular, ecological and applied microbiology
Leading scientist's full name: Severinov, Konstantin Viktorovich
Academic degree and title:
Doctor of biological sciences, professor
Professor at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, USA, professor at SkolTech, head of laboratories at the Institute of Molecular Genetics of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Institute of Biology of the Gene of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Field of scientific interests:
Molecular foundations of control over gene expression in prokaryotes, molecular foundations and evolution of interaction between bacteria and their viruses, structure and action mechanisms of new antibiotics.
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, 2010;
- Fellow of American Academy of Microbiology, 2009;
- The Russian Science Support Foundation Prize, 2008, 2009;
- National Research Council Exchange Fellowship with All-Russian State Center for Applied Microbiology, Obolensk, Russia, 2004;
- Participant, National Research Council Exchange Program with former Russian Bioweapons Institutes, 2002;
- 10th Johnson & Johnson Discovery Award, 1997;
- The Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award in the Biomedical Sciences, 1996 – 2002;
- The Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research postdoctoral fellowship, 1994 – 1997;
- The Soros Foundation-USSR studentship, 1991;
- The British Council scholarship, 1990.