Laboratory of Biotechnology and New Biomaterials
The project aims to create a center of biotechnological excellence at the Siberian Federal University that will specialize in fundamental scientific research and innovation activities in the field of new biomaterial technologies.
The purpose of the scientific research activities envisioned by the project is to create a scientific foundation and provide an experimental substantiation for application of biodegradable polymers of prescribed structure for advanced biomedical technologies.
Grant Agreement No.: 11.G34.31.0013
Host institution of higher learning:
Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education "Siberian Federal University"
Scientific research area:
To create a scientific foundation and provide an experimental substantiation for application of biodegradable polymers of prescribed structure for advanced biomedical technologies.
Key project objectives:
1. To develop technologies of biosynthesis of complex and advanced chemical composition polymers with a prescribed spectrum of physical and chemical properties;
2. To study and optimize the processes of transformation of polymers into matrixes of various types; to study their properties and their resistance to biological environments and physical and chemical factors;
3. To research biological compatibility of polymer matrixes in cellular cultures and in experiments conducted on animals, as well as the "in vivo" biodegradation process;
4. To test the technique of depositing medications into matrixes; to research the kinetics of the efflux of medications in "in vitro" and "in vivo" systems;
5. To research adhesive properties of matrixes and their ability to support the proliferation potential of cells of different origins; to assess the efficiency of using matrixes for reconstructive genesis of tissues;
6. To develop the terms of reference for fabrication of the newly designed polymer products, to patent them, to put them through preclinical tests and prepare them for clinical tests; to create a biotechnological production facility specializing in fabrication of small amounts of highly technological products.
Anticipated project outputs:
1. The project will help acquire new knowledge in biotechnologies of biodegradable biopolymers;
2. The project will help improve the university's position in the world of science and education;
3. The project will help expand the application of new materials in highly technological areas of biomedicine.
Leading scientist's full name: Sinskey, Anthony John
Academic degree and title:
Doctor of natural sciences, professor
Professor of engineering systems at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (department of engineering systems); professor of health sciences and technology at Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (department of medical sciences and technologies); professor of microbiology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (faculty of biology).
Field of scientific interests:
1. Fundamental physiology.
3. Molecular genetics.
4. Metabolic engineering of industrially essential products and producers.
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science;
- Member of the Molecular Medicine Society of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering;
- Member of the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC);
- S. K. Prescott scholarship recipient;
- Herbert scholarship recipient;
- Member of the Management Committee for Cellular Engineering;
- Health Institute's food safety expert;
- Advisor of the American Society for Biodegradable Polymers.