Interdepartmental Laboratory "Biology of Marine Invertebrates"
This laboratory was established as part of a scientific research project supported with a monetary grant awarded by the Government of the Russian Federation under a grant competition designed to provide governmental support to scientific research projects implemented under the supervision of the world's leading scientists at Russian institutions of higher learning, research institutions of the governmental academies of sciences and governmental research centers of the Russian Federation (Resolution of the RF Government No.220 of April 9, 2010).
Host institution of higher learning: Federal State Autonomous Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education "Far-Eastern Federal University"
Scientific research area:
To research biological diversity, composition, procreation, development, and biology of marine invertebrates, including those that are insufficiently studied, seldom occurring, and economically valuable groups, within the framework of a single regional strategy and methodology developed in compliance with the universally recognized standards and recommendations of international programs and organizations, such as DIWPA, NaGISA, CoML.
Key project objectives:
1. To create a state-of-the-art scientific laboratory at the university that will be able to perform world-class quality research;
2. To train highly skilled specialists in the field of marine invertebrates.
Anticipated project outputs:
1. The project will help improve the effectiveness and efficiency of nature management and reproduction of marine bioresources in the northwestern Pacific;
2. The project will help assess ecological risks;
3. The project will design recommendations for aquaculture;
4. The project will enable the laboratory staff to form collaborations with scientists and educational institutions from the Asian-Pacific region.
Leading scientist's full name: Malakhov, Vladimir Vassilyevich
Academic degree and title:
Doctor of biological sciences, associate member of the Russian Academy of Sciences, professor
Head of the department of zoology of marine invertebrates at the Moscow State University
Field of scientific interests:
1. Comparative anatomy of invertebrates.
2. Embryology of invertebrates.
3. Phylogeny of the animal kingdom.
- Lenin Komsomol Prize recipient for the work "Composition, development, and phylogeny of the Aschelminthes" (1984);
- D. A. Sabinin Prize awarded by the MSU Faculty of Biology for the work "Embryonic development of bivalve mollusks in normal conditions and under the influence of heavy metals" (1993);
- Academician A. V. Ivanov Prize awarded by the St. Petersburg Science Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences for the work "Kinorhyncha" (1994).