Poultry Industry Biotechnologies Laboratory
Grant Agreement No.: 14.W03.31.0013
Project name: Development of State-of-the-Art Biotechnologies to Assess Gene Expression in Relation to Performance and Disease Resistance in Poultry Industry
Name of the institution of higher learning: Federal State Budgetary Educational Institution of Higher Education " Moscow State Academy of Veterinary Medicine and Biotechnology - MVA by K.I. Skryabin "
Fields of scientific research: Agriculture, forestry, and fisheries
The proposed research project is aimed at the comprehensive development of new molecular genetic techniques to analyze the expression of genes that play a key role in ensuring the productivity and resistance to disease in chickens, as well as for the evaluation of the intestinal microflora and feed, and the impact of feed additives. In accordance with the stated research aim, the following problems will be resolved within the framework of this project:
• Explore the relationship between gene expression related to productivity and the status of poultry organism in norm and on the background of infectious diseases.
• Develop state-of-the-art biotechnology to assess the expression of genes related to the productivity and resistance of poultry to unfavorable factors.
• Study the relationship between pathogenic bacteria, gut/feed microbiota, and feed ingredients in poultry diet.
• Develop a bacterial pathogen-monitoring system at the various stages of the process of rearing and keeping chickens.
• Assess the impact of different types of feed additives on the intestinal microflora and the productivity of egg-type poultry.
• Develop a system of prevention of bacterial pathogens in laying hens on the basis of the use of probiotics and phytobiotics replacing antibiotics.
• Test the developed technologies and the resulting feed compositions in the operating poultry farms to evaluate the productivity and stress of poultry.
Romanov Michael Nikolayevich
Date of Birth: 27.12.1961
Academic degree and title: Ph.D.
Job Title: University of Kent
Field of scientific interests:
• Genetics including avian genetics
• Genomics including avian genomics
• From 1992—1998, Secretary-Treasurer of the World’s Poultry Science Association (WPSA) Ukrainian Branch, Branch's Council Member, and a member of the World’s Poultry Science Journal editorial board.
• Session chairman, organizing committee member and invited speaker at national/international conferences (USA, UK, France, Germany, Poland, Ukraine). A keynote speaker and session chairman for the 20th World’s Poultry Congress, a WPSA Council member at the meetings of the WPSA General Assembly and Council at the 19th and 20th World's Poultry Congresses.
• Reviewer for 13 peer-reviewed journals (Animal Biotechnology, Animal Genetics, BMC Genomics, Heredity, Nature Biotechnology, Poultry Science, etc.). A board member of 4 journals.
• An invited organiser and lecturer in a genomics seminar and an extension course for scientific and pedagogical specialists at the Russian Institute for Farm Animal Genetics and Breeding (2015—2016).
• In the late 1980s and 1990s, an editor for scientific publications at the Poultry Research Institute, Ukraine.